The Local School Advisory Team (LSAT) is an elected body representing faculty, staff, parents, and the community. It designs and helps to implement the Local School Plan, which provides an operating structure for planning, implementing, monitoring, and evaluating major school-based policies and practices. The LSAT also serves as a mechanism for implementing practices to ensure a student-centered environment, helps to plan the school’s annual operating budget, and acts as an advisory panel to the principal.
The LSAT meets monthly. The meetings are OPEN. Everyone in the Hyde-Addison community is invited to attend, and all are encouraged to participate.
Time: 7:30am - 8:30am
Location: Library - Located in the basement of the Hyde building.
Dates of 2016-2017 meetings:
September 2, 2016
October 14, 2016
November 10, 2016
December 9, 2016
January 6, 2017
February 3, 2017
March 10, 2017
April 7, 2017
May 5, 2017
June 2, 2017
2016-2017 LSAT Members
Margaret Boyd, interventionist
Elizabeth Crutcher, 4th grade teacher
Tad Howard, parent & community member
Sara Macauley, parent
Caroline Pessey, parent and LSAT PTA Liaison
Amy West, parent
Katie Roth, 5th grade teacher
Paul Kihn, parent & LSAT President
Andrew Whiting, operations manager
LSAT meeting notes:
October 2, 2015
Lydia Pelliccia, Katie Roth, Elizabeth Namba, Margaret Boyd, Tad Howard, Sara Macauley, Paul Kihn, Peter Wallsten, Andrew Whiting, Marie Connolly
Discussed Core Values and Draft Vision Statement:
- Hyde Leadership Team reviewed teacher, student and parent list of core values. The core values that were valued the most were: perseverance, curiosity, integrity, diversity, and kindness. Learning and children were other core values that the team thought were implicit.
- LSAT discussed how can we should show learning/academics is part of our values even though we feel it is embedded. We will include the academic piece in the mission statement. The mission is how we will reach our vision.
- Staff will define and norm core values. Each month the school will focus on a value. Core values will be addressed at school wide meeting, taught in class, and librarian will pull books that help teach each core value.
- The draft vision from the Hyde Leadership Team is Empowering children to lead meaningful and purposeful lives. The vision is based on how we would like to see the kids at Hyde and after they leave Hyde.
Discussed LSAT elections for a few open slots:
- The election for parent LSAT members will be an online election run by PTA.
- Nominees will submit bios.
- Bios will be posted in the Tuesday newsletter then the election will be a week later.
- We should also post LSAT meeting dates in the Tuesday newsletter.
Addition and Construction Plans Update:
- Second SIT meeting. They changed the plans twice. Presented different plans for the interior. Point of contention is the location of the main office area. DCPS, DGS, and security wanted to move the main office to the new buildings as a welcome center and now it is moved it back to the Hyde building. Next SIT meeting is in 2 weeks.
- There will be Bi-weekly meetings since things keep changing.
- Once construction starts we won’t be able to use the parking lot because it will be used for staging. We could get temporary parking permits for some neighborhood spots, but we don’t know how many. We need to look into block off a street for a playground (possibly Potomac Street).
- In December we will get the construction management plan so we know what to expect.
Need a point person to work on Hardy feeder issues and to coordinate with other elementary schools that feed into Hardy.
- Hardy Feeder point people meet once a month and host different events.
- It’s a way to get parents together from the feeder school to create the Hardy parent community early. It does not have to be a fifth grade family. We should include parents of younger ages.
- We could have more than one point person.
- Look for opportunities to invite members from other schools like Fall Fest or Screen on the Schoolyard.
- Open house at Hardy next Tuesday, October 6.
- Hyde fifth graders have a Buddy Day in December at Hardy.
- Put it in the newsletter that we need a point person. Reach out to Kevin, Elizabeth Lucia, Leah Anderson or Solange Gregoire to see if one of them would like to be the point person.
- Invite old Hyde parents who are current Hardy parents to come back and talk about what Hardy is really like. (Sara & Dereck Spooner or Solange Gregoire.)